Saturday, August 1, 2009

Call for Contributors!!!

















As I mentioned in a previous post, one of the things I'd like to do in this blog is to post about the experiences of other students. And rather than me telling the story second hand what I would really like to do is have other OT students submit entries of their own that I'll post on their behalf, or link to if the poster happens to have a blog of her/his own.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- regular contributions, or one-offs! No pressure, no commitment.
- post anonymously, with a pseudonym, or take credit for your contribution... totally up to you. However, I would like for each person to disclose what school they attend. The purpose is so that students considering OT after us have a chance to see what different programs are like so that they can find the best fit for their own needs.
- Possible topics: Anything related to being an OT student... whether it's classes, research, placements, being on a committee or part of the student association, volunteer work, juggling grad school and the rest of your life, financing grad school, etc... Just be sure you don't breach any confidentiality rules, especially when talking about placement experiences.
- posts are meant to be informative, so be honest about the good and tactful about discussing the bad. It's also not meant to be a competitive thing... as in, my school's better than your school. I want it to be a resource that future students can refer to when trying to make admissions decisions.

Plus, when it comes right down to it... I personally would really love to hear about some perspectives and experiences other than my own! I'm curious about what the similarities and differences will be! And after all, we may be in different programs now but we'll all be colleagues one day.

If you're interested or have any questions, please email me at OTSweetPea@gmail.com.
I'll be glad to hear from you any time!
:)SweetPea

3 comments:

  1. Hi "Sweet Pea" what a great idea! I am pasisonate obout OTs using Web 2.0 to communicate and create networks, and here you are doing it!!! I wish you all the best with your studies and hope to meet you one day at an OT conference. Maybe some of my MScOT students from the UofA tell you about their experiences in our program (hopefullya all the good ones!) ;-)
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Anita! it means a lot to me. I'm very excited about the possibility of hearing some alternate points of view... and I think blogs are a great way to do it. Plus, I feel that as students we're all in this together!
    Here's to cyber-community building!
    Cheers, :)SweetPea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again... a student here at the UofA is starting an activity for OT students across Canada to connect in OT month (October). Here's the link to her wiki http://otschools.wetpaint.com/ you will probably need to contact Pam through the wiki to get registered ahead of time. Maybe you can be the McMaster rep?!
    Anyway... reading through your blog I think you'll love OT!
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete